Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Land That I Love

The 4th of July is still my all time favorite holiday.  And we Wests celebrated the red, white and blue in true American, Huntington Beach fashion:



Front row seats at the parade, bike rides downtown, enjoying the sunshine and the company of loved ones (shout out to all our awesome neighbors),  and of course fireworks!  H.B. put on the best show I have ever seen which subsequently terrified my daughter to tears. (See photo of Marley hiding behind my arm below.)  It was a fabulous 4th for our family of four.





During a time when the whole world seems to be obsessed with celebrating the life of a talented pop star, I think it's time to celebrate the lives of true American heroes. My dad, a Vietnam and Desert Storm veteran, lost a very good friend during the Vietnam War.  He was the first Marine Guard ever killed in duty.

I was privileged to visit the Vietnam Memorial Wall a few years ago and felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and pride upon seeing his name engraved amidst the other names of so many young, American heroes.

My beautiful son was named after this fallen friend of my father.  I hope my little Cohen Marshall always remembers those who gave their lives so that we could have the freedoms we enjoy. 

I am so proud to be an American.  I am grateful to the soldiers past and present who defend us with their lives.

God bless America and Happy Independence Day!

5 comments:

Tiffani said...

That is so cool that Cohen is named after your dad's comrade. What an honor! And your little ones are the cutest...sounds like Huntington Beach is the place to be on the 4th!

Tiffani said...

P.S. You look AMAZING! No way you just had a baby. Wowsers!

Liz said...

Hi nana-banana. that picture of you in the red sweatshirt looks just like the you i remember from high school. i miss you. also, the word verification i must type for this comment in mullet. i think that is funny.

Alicia said...

Hi. I might have stalked you from Christi's blog. I'm wishing we were in Huntington Beach for the 4th where you can wear sweatshirts outside. That's so cool about Cohen's name.

Lindsay Clegg Sundloff said...

Diana, Hey sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I will be in Cali Aug. 8-15. Let me know if you'll be around.
Lindsay