Friday, March 18, 2011

Ode to my little brother, Paul

Seriously, he is like the coolest kid ever. OK, I know he's not a kid anymore but he's my little brother, so he's a kid to me.

I know this picture looks like we were prom dates but I promise we weren't. This is a Christmas dinner I sang at in California and Paul came to support me.

When Paul and I were young, we were bestest pals. We both loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Back to the Future, having sword fights in the style of The Princess Bride, and An American Tale (yes, we watched A LOT of television.) We could always be found quoting lines from our favorite movies: Top Gun, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, etc.

When I was in high school, Paul and I created our own language. Basically, it was saying the word "dink" over and over again with different inflections in our voices. It was extremely obnoxious but we thought it was hilarious and we could always understand each other even though no one else had a clue what we were saying.

Paul is a super talented artist. Check out this ambigram he created of the words faith and work

He is also an incredible athlete and a self-taught musician. He taught himself how to play all these instruments and then wrote this awesome song. Click here to listen/watch. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Paul and his wife Sam are always laughing and playing. They are totally kids at heart. I love it. When I am around them I always feel like I'm young again. There's always lots of giggling when Paul and Sam are nearby.

Paul, you are one of my favorite people in the world. Honestly. I miss you. I wish we lived closer so we could hang out, watch movies and laugh.

Dink dink dink,

Nan

3 comments:

Paul said...

Thanks, Nan, you are so sweet. You are definitely the talent in the family. I miss you too. I wasn't the one that moved away, though.

Sara said...

I always appreciated how sweet Paul was to my little brother Scott.

Tiff said...

Little Twinkie boy is all grown up!=)