Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend Ups and Downs

Ups:
  • After talking about going camping for months, we finally made reservations and pitched our tents at Big Sur.
  • We were introduced to a new card game, Five Crowns . . . and I won!
  • There were hot showers at the campsite. That's the kind of camping I like.
  • S'mores. Conway knows just how to make 'em. Nothing beats the chocolaty, marshmallowy, oozing goodness.
  • There was a playground at the campsite that was just as much fun for us adults as it was for Marley.
  • Marley made the most of her new barking skills; she "woofed" at dogs, seals, crows, squirrels and a painting of an alien.
  • Spain beat Germany 1-0 in Euro 2008.
  • My little brother Paul and his wife, Sam had their first baby. Canon Christopher Rose born 6/28/08, 7 lbs 7 oz, 20" long.
Downs:
  • Wildfires along the coast closed the Pacific Coast Highway sending us on a two hour detour before we reached our campsite.
  • The same wildfires made for a slightly smokey and ashy campground.
  • I jacked up my shoulder something fierce doing an obstacle course Conway and Clay set up on the kiddie playground.
  • I completed said obstacle course 40 seconds behind the boys.  I'm so ashamed.
  • Marley was on a vomiting frenzy.  The poor girl threw up at least a dozen times. Why do these things always happen when you're away from home?
  • We made a 4:00 a.m. trip to the Emergency Room.  (Because of Marley's vomiting, not my wimpy shoulder--for anyone keeping track.)
  • Conway didn't get to surf.  I'm including this on the downs list because I know he really, really wanted to go.
Mommy and Marley keeping each other warm
Marley & Clay cuddling by the campfire

The beautiful Big Sur view

She would have slept in the swing if she could have
After jumping off a cliff, my macho guy bundles up in a princess towel
The boys check out the surf
After returning from the ER
It's business as usual when we get home!

8 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Sounds like a fun, but crazy weekend! Marley is so sweet...how sad that she was so sick all weekend...I hope she is feeling better!

Glad you are back blogging again!

Malia said...

Marley is SO cute! Diana you look great! Brad and I are going to be down next week for a wedding, we'll have to come say hi if we can!

Cathy said...

DIANA! YES! You're back in the blogging world. I LOVE it. I can't wait til one weekend we're all in town at the same time and we can hang out!! Maybe you can try out camping one more time this summer and we'll come along. I miss little Marley's "hi's" over the balcony already.

Guentert Family said...

Sounds like you had a great time camping! We are going up to Pismo this weekend so I hope that we dont have any problems with fires! I love you guys and hope that we can get together soon!
Love,
Aimee

Tiffani said...

You are seriously the cutest family. Marley is gorgeous! Sorry about the vomiting on the camping trip and the shoulder injury. That kinda stinks. Looks like you both weathered it like the champs you are!

Liz said...

Ups and downs, boy I'll say! I'm glad Marley is okay and that your shoulder's not too bad, but mostly I'm glad you're blogging again! Hooray!

Malia Ervin said...

I've missed your cute little blogs! Camping looks fun but it did remind me why I don't camp. You guys are the cutest little family!

Sara Boulter said...

I'm loving all these pictures. SOOOO glad you're blogging again.

Could Marley be any cuter? I think not. She's so beautiful. She MUST be your child.