Monday, January 5, 2009

Seen and Heard in Canada

"I think whoever said Hell is going to be hot has it backwards. I can't imagine a worse Hell than below freezing temperature."  -- Conway trying to prepare me for just how unbearable the weather in Canada is.

"So, do you have an announcement you'd like to make?"  --Conway's brother-in-law, Todd, the first one to notice my protruding belly after I shed the layers and layers of winter clothes, taking a risk by assuming that the ten pounds I've gained since I saw him last were a result of a baby growing in my tummy.  By the way, he was right.  I am pregnant.  We've been waiting to announce anything because we wanted to surprise Con's family with my belly.

"So, what's the announcement?"  --Con's mom while looking right at my belly.  (I'm flattered.)

"It's not that bad. . ." --Me outside in my PJ's first thing in the morning, trying to prove my toughness to Todd. 

". . . Ok, let me in. I can't breathe."  --Me about two seconds after telling Todd that it wasn't that bad.

"This is so awesome!"  --My impression of Canadian bowling.  It really is awesome.  There are only five pins, the balls are light, small and hole-less, it's nearly impossible NOT to score at least one hundred points and you get three tries per turn! 

"This doesn't bode well."  -- Me realizing that I'm ahead but there are still three frames to go.

"Woo hoo!  I bowed well!"  --Me gloating to Conway that I beat him at 5-pin bowling.

"Oh man, I am the worst Santa ever!"  --Me, realizing that I left Marley's Christmas present in my bedroom at home.

"You guys should leave California; there's no snow on the rooftops so Santa will have a crash landing."  -- Conway's 9-year-old nephew Steele trying to point out the obvious.

"My Dad was in Saudi Arabia for Christmas so we celebrated Christmas in July. . ."  --Me tearfully recalling one of my best Christmas memories.

"It's baron, desolate, and Inuit live there."  -- Steele, describing the North Pole.

"Santa had to borrow some paper.  He can't carry it around with him or there wouldn't be room for all the toys."  --Conway's sister Tia explaining to a suspicious 7-year-old Grayson why Santa's note was written on the back of a piece of paper he recognized.

"How could this happen?!" --Conway's nephew Steele, tearfully reacting to his parents' teasing that they were only opening one present on Christmas.

"We had her until Clamato."  --Todd, convinced that up until I tasted his nasty tomato juice concoction, I was seriously considering moving to Edmonton. 

"I hate this game!" --My unsportsmanlike reaction to losing yet another hand of Kings and Surfs.

"Conway is a woman!"  --Con's nephew Grayson dishing his most malicious insult in hopes of being tackled by said woman.

"You should really lay off the liquor."  --Conway giving some innocent passersby the wrong impression as I repeatedly vomit in the snow.

"I love this game!"  --My unsportsmanlike reaction to finally winning a hand of Kings and Surfs.  (It's a love/hate relationship.)

"Tia, Todd, Steele, Coco."  --Marley learning to say some of her relatives' names.  She prefers to call Sophia "Coco", the name of one of her friends from church.

"Really??!"  --Conway's shocked reaction to my confession that my first Christmas away from home was really great and I would absolutely do Edmonton in the winter again.


5 Pin Bowling
Marley y su tia, Tia
Sophia & Marley watching Peter Pan

Marley & all her Canadian Cousins on Christmas Eve

Christmas Morning

Marley & Grandma Bonny

Marley & Sophia playing with their (Sophia's) Christmas gifts

At the Royal Alberta Museum

Marley taking a rest on Aunt Alisha's shoulder

Doing my best to be a cowgirl while pregnant and wearing a skirt
How did the pioneers do it?

I wish we had more pictures... I guess we were having too much fun to worry about it.  We had such a great time.  Thanks to Tia, Todd, Bonny, Alisha, Eric, Jim and Bob!  We love you.  Oh, and if you have any pictures or quotes to add, let us know, eh.

13 comments:

Malia Ervin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
How far along are you? Looks like you had a good snowy Christmas. Take care!

Paulina said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! Did YOU know you were pregnant when we were in Cali? :)

You're even due before me! How exciting, congrats again!

The Blauser's said...

Congrats, Nan! So...when is the little one due to arrive?

Tiffani said...

I love your "seen and heard" posts. They make me laugh. It sounds like it was a fabulous time. And congrats on the baby news! I'm glad it's out in the open so you can finally write about it on your blog!

Oh and yeah...I swore...TWICE! Can you believe my nasty mouth?

Marcy said...

What wonderful news!!! i want to know how far along you are too and see a pic of that belly you were talking about!

Malia said...

Wait! I didn't know you were pregnant! How far along are you?

My fav Canada quote, "we had her until Clamato." lol.

I need some dill chips like yesterday.

Cathy said...

# 1 - I've GOT to meet Steele. That kid is hilarious.

#2 - I'm pretty sure your comments on my blog are my main source of self-esteem :)

#3 - If we did prego pics of you, you would put me to shame, dear. Pure, utter, shame and I'm ok with that.

Megan said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Sara said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I could NEVER be a pioneer." Man, those women had it rough.

I'm so happy for you guys, CONGRATULATIONS!

MediocreMama said...

Congratulations! We are due in May, how about you?

Guentert Family said...

oh my goodness!!! Congratulations...when are you due? I am so happy for you guys!!!!! Love you bunches

the cummard family said...

what the heck! CONGRATULATIONS! like everyone else.....i wanna know how far along you are. you look great!

Cam and Mele said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so glad you commented, so I could come on here and see all the wonderful updates with the West family. I can't believe your going to have another most beautiful child in the world! It was fun and hilarious reading your quotes, and to see a few pics of everyone in Canada! We miss you guys, and we miss them!