The day started out just like any other day. I fed the kids breakfast and we watched a cartoon. But when I came inside after working out with my neighbor, I discovered an envelope with my name on it taped to the computer. I thought Conway just left me a sweet love note but when I opened it up, I found a typed message containing a clue that I had to solve. It took me forever to solve it but I finally did, which led me to the next clue and the next and so on until I had solved six clues. The final one leading me to a website: www.gohawaii.com/lanai.
Conway had bought me a plane ticket to accompany him to Lanai two days later. He had already arranged for my sweet neighbor to watch our kids all day so we could go. It went from being an average day, to a day chock full of Robert-Langdon-style adventure which would lead to another spontaneous adventure two days later.
The first clue which I had to hold up to a mirror in order to read.
I had to arrange these scrabble letters using 4 clues.
There is always a Toblerone bar in our fridge and the next clue was tucked inside it.
I had to put together these puzzle pieces of Mary and a rose.
I found the following clue out in my herb garden by the rosemary.
Two days later:
It just happened to be the airline's 30th anniversary that day.
They gave us leis, there was live entertainment and they had free stuff.
A hula dancer at the airport.
Boarding our little plane for the 20 minute flight to Lanai.
Notice the pizzas Conway is holding. We bought them at Costco to take to Conway's
account in Lanai. We were the most popular people at the airport, in the plane, on the shuttle and in Lanai. Costco pizza is a hot commodity in that little town!
Lanai doesn't even feel like Hawaii. It's incredible; you just fly to a small, neighboring island and suddenly you are in a small town with no stop lights, only one gas station, pine trees, red dirt roads and extremely friendly locals. It totally reminded me of Magrath.
Our first stop was to the local clinic so Conway could do some work. After meeting the lovely Filipina ladies who work there and impressing them with my two sentences in Tagalog, I waited in the Jeep while Conway did some work.
After his visit we were free to roam around the beautiful, little island.
The clinic
Our lunch. The pink balls are a dense, sweet bread filled with pork called manapua.
I don't know what the others are called but they were 'ono (delicious).
A room full of orchids.
At one of the two Four Seasons Resorts in Lanai
I felt like I was in Fablehaven. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a
fairy or two fluttering around the stunning grounds.
Driving to Shipwreck Beach
The other Four Seasons Resort
We were asked several times if we were honeymooners.
Suddenly the day was over and it was time to go back home.
Our precious little ones were all tuckered out when we got back.
They had a fun day at Miss Emily's: going to the park, playing games, going to school
and playing with their bestest buddies.
6 comments:
Seriously?! What a husband! And what a magical day. Looks amazing!
Are you kidding me?? That is so sweet!!! So jealous!
How fun is that? The treasure hunt is cute, but I KNOW that Robert would NEVER go to that much trouble. Creed might.
I want to go to Lanai, you might have to meet us there if you want to see us when we decide to visit Hawaii.
Con does much more elaborate clues than I do. One of the last clues in my last scavenger hunt was, "To find your next clue, go where you pooh."
And the fairy tale continues. :) You have such an amazing husband...and what an AMAZING surprise! Miss ya Nan.
SO fun!! Living the life you guys!!
Post a Comment