Saturday, January 29, 2011

Click


I was penning a blog post in my mind as I sat on the beach watching my husband surf, with the kids building sand castles around me. It went something like this:

It's amazing how a spiritual trip to the temple followed by a relaxing day at the beach can help you pause the chaos and uncertainty of life for a while. . .

That's about as far as I got when I decided to call my parents to check in on my dad to hear that his oxygen levels are really low, he has been running a fever and he can physically feel something happening in his body. I hung up the phone to see Conway having some sort of altercation with a local surfer. (I know what you're thinking, "Super mellow Conway having an altercation?" I know. It's not like they were yelling or throwing punches. But still.) Why? The guy insists that Conway broke his board (PS, he didn't) and is demanding like a thousand dollars to cover the costs.

It was right around this time that my pause button started malfunctioning.

Have you ever been video messaging with someone when their computer freezes up and then all of the sudden everything moves in fast forward until they catch up with present time? No? Well, that's what today felt like. A moment's pause followed by crazy fast-forward.

But that's life right? We might want to hit pause or rewind or fast-forward every once in a while but never can seem to find that darned remote.


Even though I enjoyed the pause, I think I prefer everything to move along at regular speed.

3 comments:

Paulina said...

I loved the honesty in that post! By the way, I had to laugh at Conway's "altercation." Hope he doesn't have to pay the guy a thousand bucks though! And my prayers are with your family!

MediocreMama said...

So so weird...I had a day like that yesterday. It's a long story (maybe we should talk sometime!) but we are dissolving Tod's business partnership and hoping to keep our business and get rid of the guy. Things were going so great and yesterday I was starting to feel like it was all going to work out then...

A text from him around midnight that had my stomach in knots for hours. Click.

I'm sad to hear about your dad. It just sucks. That's all there is to it.

Liz said...

Oh my, I was dumbfounded when Robert told me this story. That is unbelievable. I watched Blue Crush yesterday and thought about you guys. I got your email, too, but something has been wrong with my computer for awhile, and I can't send emails. I'm thinking of you, though. Hang in there, my sister.