Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Baby Number Three

They say that with your first baby you take pictures of everything, document everything and all around make a big, huge deal about everything.  They also say that that fervor or whatever it is, tends to wear off after the first baby.

I was skeptical about this.  But apparently, I fall right into their statistics, whomever "they" are.

this is what overdue looks like

I am pregnant with my third child and this is the first blog entry I have even devoted to mentioning the little one.  Am I busier? Yes.  Am I lazier? Probably. But I am no less enthusiastic about this little angel than the other two.

A few things to note about this pregnancy:

  • The first 12 weeks were brutal. I threw up at least 12-20 times every-single-day. We keep our windows open to keep a cool breeze running through our house and our poor neighbors admitted later that they knew I was pregnant as soon as I did.
  • The comments from complete strangers about my size were more obnoxious than ever. At 5 months a lady on an airplane said, "Wow! That's a big baby! Are you sure it's not twins?!"  As a matter of fact, Lady, it's not a big baby. It's actually pretty small; however, I enjoy cookies and have eaten a lot of them.
  • I was secretly hoping and praying for twins. With each prayer I would always add the caveat: but only if I can handle it.  God does answer prayers; I obviously couldn't handle it.
  • I went a little crazy with the sweets.  The ahem, extra pounds I gained this pregnancy were mostly due to lemon bars and cookies. Be prepared to hear me rant and complain about trying to rid my booty of the excess jiggle and wiggle.
  • There have been some terrible, awful, horrible things happening. Some of the things I've read in the news lately have made my prayers on behalf of my kids' safety much more intense than usual:  The Colorado shooting, Penn State, the girl who wanted to know what it felt like to murder someone, the disgusting school teacher and etc. and etc.  Each time I come across one of these headlines, my anxiety skyrockets, my heart breaks and I wish that I could hold my children's hands every moment of their lives. Sometimes it's a little overwhelming to think about the world our children will be raised in.
  • I miss my daddy.  This will be the first grandchild born without him.  Normally, he would be here helping me get everything ready, running errands, stocking our fridge and cupboards, keeping my gas tank full and my car washed and waxed.  It's nice to think that he knows my baby already and has probably been spending every heavenly moment with him/her that he can.

  • My mom has been a rockstar.  I'm so blessed to be able to have Grandma here. She makes life so easy. My kids adore her. And I get spoiled beyond belief. She does the dishes, the laundry, makes dinner, helps with the kids. She has tended my garden, is sewing Marley's hula costumes and fixes things around the house. I wish I could keep her forever.
  • We have been sick.  I am just getting over bronchitis. I've had a violent cough for the last 7 weeks that is finally starting to taper out.  My kids have been sick with runny noses, fevers and coughing for the last couple weeks.  Part of me is glad this baby wasn't on time . . . We've got to get all these germs out of our house!
  • Marley is convinced she is getting a baby sister.  Cohen is convinced it's a baby brother. They have heated arguments about whether it's a boy or girl.  For the first several months, Cohen told anyone who asked that there was a baby elephant in his mommy's tummy.  No matter what, someone is going to be a little disappointed.

Baby Number Three was due nine days ago.  If you've never had a due date come and then go, it's kind of like waking up on Christmas morning only to realize that Santa never showed up.  And then to have all your friends calling to ask what you got for Christmas only to tell them that you were gypped.

Every night for the last week and a half, I have told Conway, "I'm having contractions; I think it could be tonight!"  We are now at the point where he responded, "Talk to me when your water breaks."

Sweet little baby, I am so excited to meet you.  You are coming into a world full of chaos and fear with terrible things happening around you every day.  But it is also a world full of love and beauty and joy and hope.  You are joining a family who already loves you.  A big sister who is sweet and compassionate, who cries when she sees someone sad and who goes out of her way to make her little brother laugh.  You have a big brother who has been caressing my belly and "giving the baby besos".  Your daddy is full of energy and loves nothing more than to make his kids happy. And your mommy couldn't feel more blessed and overjoyed to be given the privilege of being your mother.

So hurry up little one!  We're ready to meet you.  And I promise to take lots of pictures.

No comments: