Sunday, August 5, 2012

What's in a Name?

Lennon Tia Lokelani West
11 days old
The musician theme was not entirely deliberate.  Yes, Marley was named after Bob Marley but Cohen was not named after Leonard Cohen (though I love the song, Hallelujah). While I was pregnant, one of my friends went for a walk in the park and saw the name Cohen on a park bench. She came back and suggested it to me as a name and I loved it. Not a very extravagant story but that's how it happened. Actually GIVING him the name was the adventure. But it's his middle name Marshall that has the significance and meaning.

And yes, Lennon is named after John Lennon. When I was in college I worked as the copy editor for an arts and entertainment newspaper.  One of the columnists had an adorable young daughter with blonde ringlets named Lennon. I fell in love with her name the moment I heard it and who better to be named after than an incredibly talented singer/songwriter/musician who taught the world to dream.


"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

Her middle name is no less significant. Tia is the name of Conway's older sister. She is beautiful and funny, smart and charming, sweet, genuine, sincere, honest, compassionate, selfless, spiritual and fun. If little Lennon Tia is to grow to become like her namesake, her Auntie has all the wonderful characteristics I would love for my daughter to inherit.

Auntie Tia

Little Lennon will also be given a Hawaiian name by my dear friend (and Marley's hula instructor), Charna (or Lehua). She briefly mentioned the name Lokelani which means heavenly rose but she wants to come over to present the name to her in person so we don't know what it officially is yet.


1 day old
“a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold” (Proverbs 22:1).

2 comments:

Malia Ervin said...

She is gorgeous just like your 2 other perfect little babies! Congratulations and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole name!

eli&joelynn said...

YUMMY!! She is so perfect!!