Monday, August 13, 2012

Seen and Heard at Kaiser Moanalua

 "OK, this is for real."  --Diana when the first pangs of true contractions began.

"Well, this will make for a fun birth story." --Diana after making an appointment for Marley with urgent care for 9:30 pm the night before I was to be induced.

"You're not going to believe this, but you're going to have to turn around and head right back to the hospital when you get home."  --Diana on the phone with Conway when labor began.

"I will if I have to but I'd rather not."  --My mom fearing that she might have to deliver my baby if Conway didn't get home soon.

"I wonder how many of these people suspect we're headed to the hospital to have a baby." --Conway as we sped past all the cars on the freeway with our flashers on.

"Are you Linda?"  --Diana hopefully asking each person that walked in if they were the anesthesiologist.

"I really don't know how they did it!" --Diana trying to channel strength from generations of women before me who endured labor without medication.

"Would it be terribly awkward if I told you that I love you?" --Diana trying to express my appreciation for the epidural.

"You are going to laugh the baby right out of you!"  --One of the nurses observing that giggling was proving to be an effective form of pushing.

"Let's let Diana call it."  --Conway making what would prove to be a mistake by telling the nurses to hold the baby up so I could make the official "it's a ..." announcement.

"It's a boy!" --Diana accidentally mistaking the umbilical cord for something else.  Apparently I missed that week in Anatomy 101.

"Um . . ." --The OBGYN and nurses noticing my anatomy error.

"So, wait, it's a girl?" --Conway, thoroughly confused after getting mixed reports on the sex of the baby.

"Hi beautiful girl, were you just in heaven with Grandpa?"  --Diana, thinking so much about my daddy during this sacred time.

"Can you help me? It's been a while."  --Diana feeling anxiety about holding such a tiny baby.

"Oh she's perfect."  --Diana falling in love all over again.

"Seriously, she smells so delicious I wish I could just bottle up this smell and keep it forever!"  --Diana enjoying that beautiful newborn scent.

"She's a pro."  --Conway explaining to the lactation specialist that with four years of experience I wouldn't be needing assistance with nursing.

"It's like you don't realize how horrible something is until it happens to you personally."  --Elle Woods in Legally Blonde 2.  Continue reading for significance.

"Yeah, like breastfeeding."  --Paulette in Legally Blonde 2 in response to above comment.  I find it so appropriate to those first two weeks of nursing. . . even if I am a seasoned pro.

"I think we need a van."  --Marley not enjoying being squished into one of three car seats in the backseat of our Honda Accord.

"You look really tired."  --Literally four people in a row who saw me just days after Baby was born.

"There's not a baby in there anymore buddy, that's just cookies."  --Diana informing a three-year-old boy that he need not rub my belly anymore.

"Now don't quote me on this, but having a newborn makes me feel like I could probably do this again."  --Diana caught up in a moment of insanity over such a sweet little angel.

The Labor and Delivery room
Overwhelmed with love and joy and thoughts of my dad as I met my new baby

one hour old

Daddy has another little girl

Marley & Cohen meeting their little sister

One day old

getting ready to go home

Marley and Lennon


Cohen and Baby Sister


Absolutely perfect


3 comments:

Paulina said...

So glad you are blogging again! One of these days I would like to start again too...I've been saying that for 4 months now! Anyway, congratulations again on Lennon - so precious and I agree with Marley, you need a van :)

your family is beautiful!!

Liz said...

Oh, how I want to hold her! I want to buy my face in her neck and nuzzle to my heart's content. Also, good for you for sticking with the Honda! Our only car was the Camry until a few days before George came and we had more than 5 people in our family. It sure makes for some cozy times. ;)

Guentert Family said...

What a great story!!! She is just perfect!!!! As are all of your beautiful Children!!!! Hope you are enjoying every moment! Sending lots of love your way!