Friday, September 14, 2012

Our Angel Sent From Heaven

Lennon Tia Ku'uanelaokalani West
I studied American Sign Language for three years. In that time, I went to several deaf gatherings and functions and even made a few deaf friends. But in those three years, I was never given a sign name. In the deaf culture, you can't just "have" a sign for your name; it is given to you by someone who is deaf.

The Hawaiian culture is very similar.  It is not only a privilege and honor to receive a Hawaiian name, but it can only be given by someone with the proper authority.

We learned all this last week from our sweet Hawaiian friend, Charna Lehua. (She is also Marley's hula Kumu.)

Just after Lennon was born, Charna asked if she could give her a Hawaiian name. Of course we told her we'd be honored.

So last week she came over to bestow Lennon's Hawaiian name to her. She explained the history and the culture of giving a Hawaiian name and how she had to be given permission and authority to do this.

I was so touched as Charna explained how she came to select Lennon's name and couldn't help but tear up when she shared it with us and what it meant.  

Dear Diana and Conway,
First I would like to thank you for allowing me to give Lennon her Hawaiian name. As I came over to your house the night before you went in, I had a dream that night of her and your dad. I knew that you would give birth that next day and I knew she would have a piece of your father with her. I know your father and many other family ancestors in heaven didn't want to let her go just yet, but when they did; it was the perfect moment.
She is a sweet angel sent from the heavens above by our Heavenly Father. With all your ohana watching over her as well, I know she is a wonderful joy that will bless you and your family along with your two beautiful children. After long hours of prayer, fasting, and consulting with my mother, we both have come to the agreement of her name.
The name we have chosen for Princess Lennon is:
Ku'uanelaokalani; our angel sent from heaven.
I hope that this name will perpetuate the daugher you want her to be one day. I know that she will be a beautiful daughter of God that is truly sent from heaven. I leave this name with you on behalf of my mother Kumu Pikake and myself, Kumu Lehua with much love and Aloha. 
Sincerely,
Kumu Lehua 

Kumu Lehua with Ku'uanelaokalani

I have come to love the people and the culture here in Hawaii.  I love that Lennon was born here and that no matter where we may live in the future, the Hawaiian culture will forever be part of her. She really was our angel sent from heaven and the love her grandpa has for her will always be present.  How grateful I am for this honor to have these attributes forever linked to her through her beautiful Hawaiian name.

(P.S.  It took a few tries but yes, I can pronounce her name)

2 comments:

eli&joelynn said...

that is the most beautiful gift! I was bawling as I read your entry. welcome little angel sent from heaven!

Unknown said...

This is so many months later, but this is so beautiful Diana. This is Charna by the way. I never read this until today. And again I'm so glad to have had you and your beautiful family apart of my life. love you all