Sunday, February 15, 2009

FAME


Today we attended church at the First African Methodist Episcopal church in Los Angeles.  It was a fun and entertaining service full of clapping, singing, dancing and praying.  

There was an amazing gospel choir with an incredibly talented Grammy Award winning soloist a la Aretha Franklin.  There was an energetic preacher with a knack for talking rhythmically while clapping and throwing in a lot of random "amen"s.  There were people in the congregation who brought tambourines to jam along with the choir and band.  There were extremely friendly ushers who made us feel welcome and loved. There was even a moment where I had to fight back tears.  It was a beautiful and spiritual service.
I would recommend anyone who has an opportunity to visit this church. www.famechurch.org. I would also highly recommend you visiting my church.  www.mormon.org.  We're pretty hospitable too. But you might want to leave your tambourine at home.

On our way home we stopped in Compton to visit Marley's Auntie Lawana.  Conway used to volunteer with the United Way several years ago and became really good friends with Lawana and her family.  They have been our family ever since.  This girl is just as entertaining as the gospel choir.  


Here's Marley and cousin D'Shay in Compton last year for his 1st Birthday party.
Look at those cheeks!

4 comments:

Tiffani said...

Sounds like quite the experience! I want more details though...what made you guys go to this church today? And what a sweet auntie. That Conway, he even volunteered for the United Way?! What hasn't that husband of yours done?!

Paulina said...

I think I remember Lawana from my brief timing of helping out. Doesn't she have a sister too? How neat that you still keep in touch with them!

Established Feb 2, 2007 said...

Man I can't believe that is Lawana!!! She is so grown up!

The Birth Control Pill said...

i remember lawana. i am so glad that you all have kept in touch. those west boys certainly made an impact on those compton kids.