Thursday, February 19, 2009

For The Birds


I have been on a little bread making kick lately. It started when we visited Conway's family over Christmas and his sister made us homemade bread every day. She's a master! Cinnamon buns, dinner rolls, french bread, etc. 

I decided that I'd put my homemaking skills to the test and I've made a few batches of Honey Oatmeal which I have to admit turned out much better than I expected.  But when I tried to get creative and make whole wheat, it was a complete failure.  It was not just a failure, it was gross!

If anyone has a good recipe for whole wheat (that you can make with a Kitchen Aid) send it my way. 

So today Marley and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather outside (finally) and go for a walk at Huntington Beach Central Park. While there there we decided to make good use of the bad batch of bread (which has been collecting ice crystals in our freezer since I made it) and see if the ducks would like it.  Believe it or not, they did!

Marley loves feeding the ducks.  She giggles when they fight over the bread she throws at them and she says, "duck duck" and "quack quack" when they come close to her.

I was afraid we might have to stay there all day because she was having so much fun but when she was done she just waved at the ducks and said, "bye bye".

And just think, in just a few weeks we won't even have to go all the way to the park, I'm sure I'll be waddling in no time. Especially if I keep eating bread at this rate. 

Quack quack.

7 comments:

Paulina said...

I have been on a bread making kick too! I make white bread though - not whole wheat. I use the kitchen aid mixer -- it is really good so if you want that recipe let me know!

Keiauni said...

Lovin' all these new posts:)

..hope you start feeling "perky" again soon.

That lil' Marley-girl is a doll.

The Blauser's said...

I'm jealous of the weather at your home...at least it's beginning to warm up here (for now). Marley is getting so big!

Grace said...

Hi Diana,
I'm Eric's (Alisha's husband) mom. I too have been on a bread kick after buying a copy of Peter Reinhart's book "Whole Grain Breads". A good website with tons of recipes and advice would be: the Fresh Loaf
Good luck with your bread making.
Grace

Tiffani said...

Yeah right...if you ever waddle I will pay you $1000. I'm way impressed with the bread making skills. Go Nan!

the cummard family said...

when you get that good wheat recipie for the kitchen aid....please fwd. ;)

mistyp said...

Diana, I don't know if you remember me...Misty Berry. Your little girl is soooooo cute!!!!!!!!!! I found your blog off of Monica's. I love reading the comments you leave on hers. I see Keiauni and Tiffani on your comments, too. Monica is really the only one I keep in touch with from high school. (However, we're in the same ward as Keiauni now.) We have a blog if you ever want to check it out but we made it private. Long story as to why... but I can send an invite if you email me at mistypankratz@yahoo.com

Take care! :) P.S. I stole the link off your blog to the baby due date counter thing. I'm on our 3rd though. ;)