About 10 years ago, I saw an episode of Oprah where she encouraged her viewers to keep a Gratefulness Journal. I took her counsel to heart and started my list right away. I was pretty valiant in keeping it current and adding five things each day. I was impressed with how it helped me find the beauty and goodness in all the small things during the day.Unfortunately, after a couple of years I stopped making frequent entries. And then after a few more years, the journal made its way into an old box that rarely gets opened any more.So about a year and a half ago, I started one up again. This time creating a private blog online where I could record one thing each day that I was grateful for and why.In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I went back and browsed some entries from the past. So with that same spirit of Thanksgiving I have decided to go public with a few of these posts. Maybe you'll get inspired and create your own Gratefulness Journal, maybe you'll find that you're grateful for some of the same things I am, maybe you saw how long this post was and stopped reading long before my Thanksgiving Spirit could haunt you, maybe you are still reading for some reason and think I should just get on with it already. Okay, I will. Happy Thanksgiving.
TUESDAY, JULY 22, 2008
Fruit
I know, it may seem a little out of place to follow an entry of gratitude for the Savior with gratitude for fruit. But think about it, what would life be like without fruit?


It's no wonder Satan used fruit to entice Eve in the Garden of Eden and Lehi desired his whole family to partake of the fruit of the Tree of Life. Have you noticed how often fruit is referred to when trying to define or describe something sweet and delicious and desirous?
I mean, just think about fruit for a minute. Wrap your senses around a juicy pineapple, a crunchy apple, a cold chopped mango with fresh squeezed lime. Fresh sliced peaches, a beautiful bowl of lemons, a handful of crisp blueberries. Is your mouth watering yet?
Today I was lucky enough to eat some grapes, strawberries, blackberries, grapefruit and a banana. . . I'll gladly take all the fresh fruit I can ever get my hands on!
I try to keep my kitchen stocked with fresh fruit. I love it. Conway loves it. Marley loves it. Everybody loves it. Have you ever met someone who said "hewl no, I don't like no parfait"?
Fruit is nature's candy.
It's beautiful too! Nothing accents my countertop better than a bowlful of colorful, fresh fruit.

One day when I have a house and a yard of my own, I want fruit trees lining my property. But for now thank you to the farmers!
It's healthy, it's yummy, it's beautiful.
Fruit is the perfect treat. And for that, I am indeed grateful.
SATURDAY, JULY 26, 2008
Chapstick
Napoleon Dynamite and I have something in common (I mean, besides awesome dance moves.)
I need chapstick. My lips get so dry. When I don't have it I'm miserable; but when I do . . . aah.
Relief.
Comfort.
Peace.
Thanks Chap Stick.
Chapstick
I need chapstick. My lips get so dry. When I don't have it I'm miserable; but when I do . . . aah.
Relief.
Comfort.
Peace.
Thanks Chap Stick.
MONDAY, AUGUST 4, 2008
Tylenol
I've had the biggest, baddest, fattest headache all day. I don't know why I'm so stubborn and wait until it's throbbing before I take Tylenol. Even though it's still throbbing, I'm grateful for the Tylenol.
Tylenol
I've had the biggest, baddest, fattest headache all day. I don't know why I'm so stubborn and wait until it's throbbing before I take Tylenol. Even though it's still throbbing, I'm grateful for the Tylenol.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2009
Marley - She's going to be a great Big Sister
I had a doctor's appointment today. Marley came with me and she was a hit as always. People always comment on how cute she is, how cute she's dressed (she actually has some cute outfits even if she usually runs around in just a diaper), and how sweet she is. Today was no exception.
When Dr. Kroll finally came in to see us, Marley sat on my lap and Dr. Kroll told her we were about to listen to the baby's heartbeat. As soon as we heard the heartbeat Marley had the biggest smile on her face that I have ever seen. She looked up and me with such a look of happiness and wonder and excitement; it was so sweet. Dr. Kroll even noticed and said she got goosebumps. Then Marley leaned down and kissed my belly.
I'm so grateful for my little Marley. She is such a sweetheart. I am so excited to see her as a big sister. And I'm so grateful for the health of my little Baby Number Two. I love having a smooth and "easy" pregnancy with no complications to worry about.
I'm so grateful for my two little babies.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2009
Energy
I am grateful for my energy. Maybe I chose this today because I have been lacking in that department all day long, but not without longing. I love those days when I can just go and go and go. When Marley is having fun, I am working on projects, the house is clean, food is being made and we're all happy.
Even though today was definitely NOT one of those days (I didn't even shower), I am awfully grateful for the ones I do get to enjoy.
Here's hoping for some energy tomorrow!
TUESDAY, JULY 29, 2008
Emergency Preparedness

Today I experienced the second earthquake of my life. The first was a little shocking. It was a new sensation and feeling of helplessness I had never felt before. But today. . . today was frightening! It was the middle of the day. I was putting Marley down for a nap. Pushing her swing as I read an intriguing novel. Then it felt like a semi truck drove right into the side of the apartment. The whole house just shook back and forth and rumbled loudly. I instinctively dove on top of Marley to shield her from anything that might collapse and held my breath until the shaking stopped.
Luckily, our apartment managed to get through the horrifying ten seconds mostly unscathed. Some picture frames fell over, a clock and a basket that adorn my armoire were knocked down, and a few plates and books that stand on my hutch in the kitchen fell, but other than that, we came out of it okay.
I gathered up Marley and ran outside. All the neighbors were out there too. All of us shaken and scared.
Oddly, one of the only things I can remember thinking during the quake (besides, holy crap!) was, I'm so glad we have food storage. I am grateful and comforted to know that should disaster strike--let's keep our fingers crossed that this 5.8 quake was the worst I will ever have to experience--our little family should be prepared to fend for ourselves if needed.
I'm grateful for the inspired church leaders who have encouraged us to prepare for emergencies and offer services such as the cannery and ward emergency preparation specialists to help and assist us in gathering our storage together. I'm grateful for the security I feel in knowing that we are adequately prepared.
And might I add, I'm grateful that I didn't need my food storage today.
1 comment:
I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment