Sunday, July 18, 2010

All Growed Up



I am in my thirties. I have been to college. I have had responsible jobs (not necessarily careers, but jobs nonetheless). I am married. I am a mother.

But I've never really felt like a "grown up". That is, until I planted a little garden: hydrangea bushes, potato vines, marigolds, gerber daisies, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (are you going to Scarborough Fair?), peppermint, basil, oregano, garlic chives, etc. etc. etc.


The first day I went outside with my watering can and stood there watering my plants, I suddenly felt like a responsible adult.

I've also somehow developed a passionate love for beautiful Hawaiian trees. I have found myself echoing the exact phrases my very mother has proclaimed on numerous occasions; "That tree is so beautiful! Look at those blossoms! Can you believe how pretty those colors are?!"
all Hawaiian tree images from Forest and Kim Starr

And incidentally, cooking with fresh herbs is like sleeping in freshly washed sheets.

1 comment:

Lindsey and David said...

You are lucky to get your mamas green thumb gene. She always had such a beautiful yard. I, on the other hand, steal herbs from my neighbors yard. Yep. I load up when they are out of town. :)

You're on a blog kick… third one in three days!