Wearing an oversized t-shirt and shorts with holes in them, Diana smiles apologetically as we meet at her home for our interview. "You caught me before naptime," she jokes. "That's when I usually get ready for the day."
Leading me through her small three-bedroom townhouse, I see dishes leftover from this morning's breakfast, toys strewn about on the floor and some laundry piled in a basket waiting to be folded and put away.
Her three-year-old daughter, Marley watches a Disney movie on the computer in her bedroom and one-year-old son, Cohen climbs over his mom as we begin our interview.
WestFamilia.blogspot.com: You've always been a big dreamer with childhood fantasies of winning Grammies and interviews with Oprah. How do you feel about the path your life has taken?
Diana: I always thought God gave me this intense ambition for a reason; I must be destined to be rich and famous because I always wanted it so badly. But, you know, the older (and perhaps more mature) I become, the more I realize that perhaps not all God's gifts are given to us for obvious reasons. Like, God made teenagers with raging hormones, so does that mean he wants them to shack up with everybody they meet? No. Well that's kinda how it feels with me. Maybe I was just being tested and the greater reward was after the challenge.
WFB: So you don't have any regrets about not reaching your goals?
D: Regrets? No, none. Do I still have that small desire to travel the world singing to sold-out stadiums and walking down the red carpet in a gown designed just for me? Honestly, yes. I think part of me will always dream of that. But the better part of me knows that I am exactly where I belong doing exactly what I was truly destined to do.
WFB: So you were destined to be a mom?
D: Absolutely. Not even I can dream up anything more fulfilling, rewarding or beautiful as being a mom. I'm sure every one who is a mother would agree.

WFB: So if an opportunity presented itself right now for you to sign a record deal and go on tour, you would pass it up?
D: Are you kidding? I would be all over it. But I'd make sure my family was still my top priority and I'd bring them on tour with me. And since we're being hypothetical, Conway would be able to quit his job and I'd make big bucks and my whole family could join us on the road.
WFB: Are you actively doing anything right now to pursue a music career?
D: I haven't done any real gigs in a while. Before I had kids I was singing all the time: performing at restaurants and cafes and anywhere else I could. I still sing all the time, only now it's just lullabies and kid songs. And my audience consists of Cohen, Marley, and an occasional neighbor or church congregation.

WFB: You followed the same route as many aspiring musicians before you by moving to California when you were 21 years old without a job, with no money and occasionally having no place to call home. Looking back now, would you do things differently?
D: Like I said, I can't have regrets because everything I did then has led to to where I am now. I originally moved to California to find fame and fortune. In the beginning it seemed like it would be so easy. I found a manager right away who was getting me regular gigs all over Orange County. I honestly thought I would just get discovered and the rest would be history. It ended up being a bumpy road with lots of ups and downs. Ultimately though, California is where I found Conway so everything worked out just as it should.
WFB: Just for the record, you did try out for American Idol, right?
D: Yes I did. Twice actually. I think it was the third and fourth seasons. The first time I showed up too late and didn't even get to sing. The second time my best friend and I slept in line overnight and I sang my little heart out only to be cut after the first round. I was disappointed but I've had so many close opportunities that I was able to shrug it off. Although to be honest I have boycotted the show. It seemed a little unfair that the only person in my entire group that made the cut was the embarrassingly terrible singer.

WFB: Close opportunities?
D: There was always someone who knew someone who could get me in contact with someone who could get me a record deal. But the one time I really had my hopes up was when I was at a taping of Dancing with the Stars and after singing as part of an audience participation contest, I was approached by Carrie Ann Inaba's manager who took my information and asked if I'd be interested in being in a new singing/dancing reality contest show. She called me the next day and spoke as if I were already on the show. She said both Bruno and Carrie Ann were impressed with my voice and wanted me to participate but they had already filled the slots. She said if any positions opened up they would contact me and rehearsals would start the next month. But obviously, no spots opened up and nothing ever came of it. C'est la vie.
WFB: Are you still writing music?
D: The last song I wrote was four years ago. I was pregnant with Marley at the same time my sister was pregnant with her first children (twins). We both had serious complications with our pregnancies at the same time. Around 19 weeks, my problem corrected itself but Karen's didn't. She had to deliver her babies early and she lost them both. It was difficult for me emotionally both because I felt sorry for her loss and because I felt guilt for my blessing. I wrote a lullaby for her and gave it to her on a CD for Christmas.
WFB: You've recorded several CDs. Tell us about them. Any favorites?
D: I loved the experience I had making my first CD Everyday Epitome. The studio was amazing and the musicians were talented, but it was when I first started writing music and playing the guitar. I can't listen to that one now without cringing. When Conway and I got married he asked me to make a more current demo. I had a friend with a small studio in his backyard and we recorded ten or so songs, half were originals and half were covers. And then I made a lullaby CD while I was pregnant with Marley. I recorded it myself on the computer so the quality isn't great and I was huge and pregnant and had a hard time singing and breathing at times so it's not my greatest work but I'm still really proud of it. It was a CD that meant a lot to me. It's all covers that I arranged into lullabies and the song I wrote for Karen. I also recorded a jazzy arrangement of "Come, Follow Me" for the Home Teachers soundtrack. And I recorded vocals on an educational CD about Geology called Rock Music. It was fun and also helped me learn a little in the process. I guess if I had to pick a favorite, maybe the demo.
WFB: As far as music goes, what can your two fans expect from you in the future?
D: Whoa, two fans, that might be stretching it. I don't know if I have any fans left. It's been a while. But I've always said I'll keep singing until I don't love it anymore. And I still love it. Even though I don't do it very often these days, I still love performing my songs for people. As far as the future goes, I'm not really sure. My family and my children are my number one priority right now but I still sing whenever and wherever I can. I don't know. I guess we'll just have to see.
We at WestFamilia.Blogspot.com are curious to know if there are any fans left out there. So we are sponsoring a small contest. The prize is a copy of Diana's Lullaby CD and/or her Demo CD. To enter, please leave a comment on this post. The winner will be chosen randomly from the comments. I'd say you probably have about a one in five chance of winning.... If five of you are even still reading at this point. Did we lose you? If not, thanks for hanging in there. Contest ends Friday night 10/22.
23 comments:
Because I'm first, I should win the prize. Mwah ha ha ha ha!! I don't have a copy of "My Sunshine." Even if I don't win the contest, can I still get a copy?
That was really cute, Nan. It was a good read. And you have FIVE fans just in this house. :D
I loved the exclusive interview!!
You are so cute, and you have an amazing voice. I have a copy of the demo (love it) and would love the lullaby cd...having kids and all.
I love the profound quote from Sweet Home Alabama:)
"It's funny how things don't work out. It's funny how they do." Makes me think about Isaiah 55 also, God's plans and thoughts are not ours! His are so much better though. (I can't believe I just quoted sweet home alabama and the bible in the same paragraph!) :-)
I am a FAN!!!! Remember I was there at the dancing with the stars!!! )Does that put my name up higher on the randomly list???)
Um, excuse me...but I have to say that I am your #1 one fan. I've been around for a looooong time and was probably one of the first "groupies" that made requests (i.e. "Somebody" by Depeche Mode on elementary school field trips). I was even there when you discovered how to play the guitar. Doesn't that make me the automatic winner?
Seriously though...you should sell them. If I don't win I would buy any/all cd's you have. I'm the proud owner of "Everyday Epitome" and would loooove to add more Diana Rose to my collection.
Oh, and I love love love this post. So many fun facts about you that I've been wondering about. Love ya.
p.s. Who was the bf that went to American Idol with you?
You have a copy of the magazine!? I lost mine.
There are more than five! See I'm number 6! By the way, I still have your first CD on my ipod as we speak. Do I listen to it? Just about as much as I listen to any music from ten years ago, not much. That was a really fun interview. I remember the first season of American Idol and how sure I was you would be there. I think you ended up with more.
My father-in-law, Ernie, loves your cd. He brings your name up every so often. Just a little FYI. I haven't heard it in a while, but I remember it was great. And PS, I never completely read posts that long, but I did yours. You're so cute.
I'm here I'm here! Loved the interview, and love your voice even more.
Great post! I have fun reading your blog and learning more about you and your family!
I was thinking while I read this that I kept meaning to ask you for your lullaby cd. Hopefully I win!
Who harmonized with you in Josh's back seat with a kazoo?
I think you know who; and she wants your CD.
heck ya! i loved your interview and i hope i win cuz your music is amazing! :)
I OWN everyday epitome:)
bought it from your mom a while back... I listened to it and thought it was really fun!
Nice interview!
...now maybe I'll dig that CD out and give her another listen!
Oh Gosh I almost missed the cutoff! I recorded your first album with you! so i should get it! Remember Rudolf?
I think you may remember my brother Cody more than me, but I have always loved to hear you sing and I remember Cody talking about it which he usually doesn't say stuff like that. I should win because I never win anything. This is Ryan Smart by the way I was too lazy to log out of my wife's account and start over.
Two fans, are you kidding!! You are amazing I always loved listening to you sing in high school and i love your CD. I would love to hear your new songs.
What a great interview! Don't know you, but came across your blog through Holly Wever. I am pregnant and would love some lullaby's for my little one...
Pick me! I even quoted you this week when my husband pulled out the old guitar and I took it and strummed a down, down, up, up down up. (That is how you taught me to play) and busted out a few lines from little miss princess perfect! I can't get it out of my head, it's hung in there for years!
I would love some new tunes to get stuck in my head. And I have a new baby!
You probably don't really know me either but I went to Highschool with you as well and have always been a fan.
I'm forever a fan of Diana!!! You have an amazing voice (I still remember from back in the day) and a beautiful family. :-)
I know you are holding out for me! I have your CD and I know someone stole your singing "style" and did a Charmen commercial. If you were selling your CD's you would be copyrighted and that wouldn't happen again.
Fun post! I learned so much about you in the many years we didn't live up the street from each other. And since I'm comment #22, I guess you have more than just 2 fans!
So I'm just catching up on your blog and don't know if you will ever read your old posts, but I'd love to buy your lullaby cd. I've never heard it and know I would love it. And of course I'm still a fan! I love your posts you make them so interesting. You're quit the singer and writer:)
Post a Comment