Saturday, October 16, 2010

It's a Culture Thing


This week marks the one year anniversary of our move to Hawaii. There are several things about the Hawaiian culture that I love: the aloha spirit, the shaka (seriously nothing makes me feel cooler than a local throwing a shaka my way), the shave ice (we've discovered the best stuff on the island and it's not Matsumoto's!), singing Aloha Oe when someone leaves the island (I can NOT get through the chorus without sobbing), the hula (I took a class and was so terrible at it the teacher actually looked at me and said, "this isn't hip hop"), and my favorite, the kissing.

When we lived in Barcelona I loved the "dos besos" thing. Everyone greeted each other with a kiss on each cheek. At first it was awkward, you know, that whole personal space thing I grew up abiding by, but after a short while I liked knowing that I would always be greeted with a friendly, "hola" and a kiss on each cheek.
Well here on the island they kiss on the cheek. And I love it.

I've decided that I may only have lived here for a year but I'm adopting the kiss into my lifestyle. Why not? I'm kama'aina now, I've been known to add "ya?" to the end of my sentences in place of the usual "huh?" or Canadian "eh?". Doesn't that qualify me as a local?
Consider yourself warned. I may invade your personal space for a quick kiss on the cheek next time I see you.
Pau for now.

1 comment:

Lambert's said...

Hi Diana! I have so much fun reading your posts and love that you share your stories and adventures. I had no idea how strong a mother's love is until I experienced it with my own kids. I know you share that too. Kids are the best! I wish I could freeze time and enjoy this forever, time seems to go by too fast. xoxo Desiree (you can give me kisses)